Sunday, April 5, 2009

Helping Orphans in Bangladesh

Since 2001 I have been going to Dhaka, Bangladesh and working with the Canadian organization, Families For Children at their orphanage. The first time I wen there I fell in love with the kids and immediately started sponsoring one - Khadiza who is now 9-years old and is always giggling, running around and doing gymnastics! The more I got involved the more I became attached to the kids and to FFC itself. It was founded in the 1970's by an amazing woman named Sandra Simpson who also runs another project in India. Everyone outside of Bangladesh works on a volunteer basis so there is almost no overhead ensuring the money can be used directly to help the kids! If you are interested and want more information either go to the website (link below) or contact me to ask me any questions!

Check it out: www.familiesforchildren.ca

The reason I am writing this now is that I spent 3 months there last year and due to the funding of a CIDA grant I was able to help open up The Spa, a beauty parlour and a training centre for the older girls to give the marketable job skills for when they leave FFC. This grant was received through the university where I am taking my Master's in Communications, Royal Roads University, and their magazine InRoads recently published an article on my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment